More and more I know I want to start a company to build a product that I can call my own, that solves a problem that I’m passionate about, and that provides me a lab in which I can experiment and learn faster than I ever have before. The most significant hurdles preventing me from dropping everything and doing it today are:
- Opportunity cost of leaving a company that I love and that I believe is creating significant real value;
- Product idea. This is the least significant of the three, I think.
My 2012 commitments to myself are:
- Learn how I can fund a startup that provides my income for at least a few months.
- Research typical seed stage funding. Equity, debt. Via publicly available information and via friends who have done it.
- Actively evaluate continuing my current job, which I love, versus starting my own company, which I also believe I would love. Reevaluate quarterly, no later than April 1, July 1, October 1, and January 1, 2013.
- Stop stealing time.
- Write weekly and publish it publicly.
- My blogging to date has been haphazard and poor quality. Get better at it. Use it as an opportunity to learn about building an audience.
- Help my team to detect and fix defects much more quickly.
Run at least 2 miles, at least 3 times a week Do at least 50 push ups and at least 50 sit ups a day, at least 4 times a week.
Please help me stick to my commitments.
What are yours?